Good assessments always begin with the specifications of clear, measurable, and specific objectives. Assessments are created to measure a candidate's skills, knowledge, and command on the respective domains.
We have listed down some of the Best Assessment Creation Practices that will help you in creating perfect assessments while enhancing candidate experience at the same time.
1. Fun & Quick Assessments
Assessments, though are a tool to assess candidate’s skills should not be laborious and boring. Compact assessments with a dash of fun are always well received by candidates. Cognitive effort is a limited resource and more often than not, pre-employment assessments are all about applying your cognitive ability to the fullest. In these circumstances, the quality and length of assessments play an important role. An assessment of 15 minutes with 10 MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) is likely to have a high ratio of attempts by candidates rather than an assessment of 60 minutes with 100 MCQs. An assessment with a balanced question to time ratio augurs well for the candidate attempting it.
- Create assessments with a balanced question to time ratio
- Create assessments that have questions which are crisp, easy to read, with appropriate images/videos to garner interest
2. Equal Employment Opportunities Guidelines (EEOC)
Many countries have made it mandatory for organizations to follow Employment Guidelines that disallow discrimination of any kind. In the USA, the EEOC is responsible to enforce federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant. Assessments should thus be made taking into consideration the EEOC guidelines whereas a candidate with a disability should also get an equal opportunity to attempt the test.
- Ensure the questions do not violate any federal or EEOC laws
- Ensure the questions do not cause a disparate impact on minorities or protected groups
- Do not choose questions that are overly personal in nature
3. Types of Questions
- An extremely important factor in creating the right assessments is the choice of questions. While MCQs mostly focus on the breadth of understanding of the candidate across a much wider range of content, scenario-based or subjective questions can offer and insight on the depth of the candidate’s analytical thinking.
- What, How, and Why type pf questions generally provide a better measure of the candidate’s knowledge application.
a. What questions measure factual knowledge and often have reasonably simple, straightforward answers.
E.G What are the similarities and differences between Roman gladiatorial games and modern football?
b. How questions often require the candidates to analyze, evaluate or synthesize a knowledge base and then predict different approaches or outcomes.
E.G Jack is being considered for a leadership role and he ends up coming late for an extremely important meeting. As his superior, you have to confront him? How will your approach be?
c. Why questions showcase the evaluative trait of the candidates and often requires them to employ multiple cognitive abilities to arrive at the answer.
E.G Why are surveys a good method of obtaining data?
Questions that stimulate the How aspect of the candidate’s answer are beneficial to both the employers as well as job applicants/employees. This gives the candidate the opportunity to express their thoughts and employers to analyze them.
- Select a mixture of MCQs and Scenario-based questions
- Focus on How type questions
- Do not choose questions that are too lengthy to read
- Do not select scenario-based questions that discriminates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex
4. Candidate Engagement
- Assessments are a good way to enhance the candidate experience. The duration of the assessment, type of questions, and precise instructions are crucial factors to create the ideal assessment and in turn, provide a seamless candidate experience. Assessments that are a good mix of MCQs, subjective, audio & video questions will make it a fun and interactive experience for the candidate.
- Use images, audio & video clips where possible
- Be precise in pre-assessment instructions as well as for instructions that appear during the assessment
- Quick and versatile assessments make it an enjoyable experience for candidates
Additionally, our customer success team can always assist you in creating the right assessments. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org